Sunday, January 11, 2009

It’s the small things

Fri, Jan 9, 2009

Ray laughed because I was appreciating the small things this morning. I was appreciating the small cubes of frozen water that were floating around in my glass. I haven’t seen them in such a long time, I forgot what they are. Ray thinks they are called “ice”.

When we got our new refrigerator, we got a small ice cube tray with it. We don’t drink the water here and only drink filtered or bottled water. So, last night I put some filtered water in the tray and this morning, life was good!!!

It’s some of the smaller things in life that we are learning to appreciate.

On a more serious note, we had a major rain storm in the middle of the night. Rolling thunder like I have never heard before - hugely authoritative. At one point, Ray said, “Tell me God is not in that thunder.” We also had a lightning strike on our property. That was weird. It was a huge sound, a loud pop then the lights went out. Ray thought it hit a transformer outside our house but when he looked out the house across the street had power. As soon as he flipped the circuit breaker in our house (yes, our house has circuit breakers), the power came back on.

On Tuesday, we were at the orphanage and Esther, four of the older girls and I mended some of the younger girls clothes. Wow. These were clothes that we would have tossed a long time ago. The dress I was mending was very worn and was hard to mend. Anyway, we mended several dresses and now these few small girls don’t have “see through” clothes. It was funny because one of the girls tried her mended dress on and it was a bit snugger. Ok, it was a lot snugger. Maybe it’s time to either hand them down or use them inside furniture. (The stuffing used inside furniture made here is strips of old clothes.)

In Pastor Keith’s words, “Blessings on your day!”

1 comment:

ShanaM said...

Nothing like appreciating the small things.

This blog was created by Frank Barrett for Ray & Alice Smith.