Wednesday, September 2, 2009

5 days

Sept 2, 2009

The water came back on yesterday afternoon. 5 days without water is a challenge. We conserved water as much as possible, saving bath water to flush toilets and wash hands. It was tough especially when you have a 7 year old who can put on clean clothes, walk out of her bedroom and be dirty. I am not sure how she does it.

The blessing is that on Day 3 and 4, the water came on during the middle of the night for a short time. At 3:00 AM, the water would come on for about an hour so either I would wake up and call Lyson or he would wake up and call me. He and Ben would fill the tubs outside the house and I would fill the tubs inside the house as well as the bathtub. This way, life could go on as normal so we could wash clothes, cook and bathe.

Apparently, everyone in the neighborhood knew the water was on in the middle of the night because I would hear people talking as they walked to fetch water. Most people in our area don’t have running water in their homes so they have to fetch it from a nearby public water source.

I will never take electricity and water for granted in the U.S. again. Although we had no electricity when we left home this morning, I thank the Lord that we have running water today.

No comments:

This blog was created by Frank Barrett for Ray & Alice Smith.